Lihir Gold Booth
Lihir Gold strives to ensure that our workforce is provided with a supportive, challenging, and positive environment in which to reach their full potential.
We employ people in a wide range of jobs. These include:
Professional and Technical
- Engineers (electrical, chemical, process, mechanical & mining)
- Environmental Scientists
- Human Resources Professionals
- Occupational Health and Safety Practitioners
- Boilermaking and Metal Trades
- Electrical / Instrument Fitting
- Fixed Plant Fitting and Machining
- Heavy Duty Mechanical Fitting
These positions are predominantly responsible for making, fitting, repairing and maintaining plant and equipment in mining and processing operations. People employed in these trades work mostly in our Mobile Equipment Workshop (working on large earthmoving and drilling machinery), or in Process Plant Maintenance (working on crushing, grinding, pressure oxidation or leaching equipment, or in the utilities such as the Oxygen Plant or Powerhouse).
Secretarial and Administrative
- General Office Clerks
- Purchasing Personnel
- Accounts Personnel
These positions are predominantly responsible for administration and clerical work in every department of the operation including mining, plant operations, community affairs, environment management and commercial. Duties of individuals vary, depending on the department.
Operators and Other
- Process Plant Operators
- Utilities Operators
- Mobile Equipment Operators
- Trades Assistants
These positions are predominantly responsible for operating plant and equipment in mining and processing areas. People employed in these roles work mostly in our Open Pit Mine (operating large earthmoving and drilling equipment), or in the Process Plant (monitoring and controlling the crushing, grinding, pressure oxidation or leaching circuits, or operating the utilities such as the Oxygen Plant or Powerhouse).
Click here for a list of Lihir Gold's current Vacancies.
We offer a range of employee benefits, including the following:
- Good opportunities for training and career progression
- Well-considered, highly competitive salaries
- Education Assistance Program
- Home Ownership Scheme
- Service bonus
- Medical insurance
- Generous superannuation
- Assistance with dependents' school fees
- Flights to point of hire
*Note: benefits offered depend on the position
Our training objectives are:
- To maximise the potential of all employees.
- To develop trained personnel to meet future requirements.
- To meet the goals of our localisation agreements with the community.
- Training needs are identified through our performance management system and an annual training plan is produced to meet site needs.
All managers, supervisors and superintendents are required to provide effective training to their employees. The Human Resources Employee Development Section provides assistance where necessary.
Training & Education Programs
Structured and formalised on-the-job training is the main skills training method for employees. This type of training is key to career progression and multi/cross skilling.
Operators in the plant and mining operations areas are given comprehensive training in use of their equipment. Employees are not permitted to drive or operate vehicles or equipment unless they hold a valid company-issued operator's permit.
An apprenticeship program is administered by the Process Plant Training Section. On-the-job training is provided to apprentices. Employment as a tradesperson is not guaranteed upon completion of training.
Apprentices are trained in an extensive range of skills, including:
- metal fabrication
- diesel fitting
- auto electrical
- instrument maintenance
- mechanical fitting
Click here to learn more about applying for an apprenticeship.