Proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Top 50 Best Small & Medium Employers by Queen’s School of Business!
Awarded the Certificate of Recognition in Health and Safety by Alberta Human Resources and Employment for the past 12 years.
The Company’s Overview and Mission
Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. is an independent, Canadian consulting firm, wholly owned by its management staff. Established in 1978, the firm diversified and reorganized under the name Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. in 1983. The firm primarily serves the mining industry and the Athabasca Oils Sands region from its administrative office in Calgary and office, soils and concrete laboratory in Fort McMurray.
Terracon Geotechnique Ltd. is committed to achieving peerless safety and environmental benchmarks. We are responsible citizens who are driven by professional integrity and dedicated to extraordinary service. Every team member pledges to establish lasting relationships with our clients by exceeding contractual obligations, and trust through exceptional performance. We help the resource industry enhance their efficiency, accountability and environmentally friendly operations.
Terracon is currently seeking candidates for a Laboratory Supervisor
The Laboratory Supervisor is a valuable member of the management team and the Company’s laboratory services. Reporting directly to the Manager, Operational Support the successful candidate will oversee and help manage the day to day operations in the Company’s soils and concrete laboratory and ensure the Company’s QA/QC standards are maintained.
Responsibilities (not limited to)
- Administer tests in the Soils and Concrete Labs, if required
- Engage in Quality Control Testing of Lab procedures and testing results
- Ensure all documentation produced from the Soils and Concrete Lab Testing is completed accurately and in a timely manner
- Purchase and source equipment and supplies required for laboratory testing
- Ensure all equipment is maintained and in proper working order
- Resolve technical issues and provide technical support to the Soils and Concrete Laboratory Technicians and Clients as required
- Provide training for Lab Technicians as required
- Coach and mentor Lab Technicians and take action to resolve any employee issues that may arise
- Ensure all Lab Technicians use safe work procedures and adhere to Terracon’s policies and processes
- Engage in internal audits to ensure Terracon’s Soils and Concrete Labs meets standards as outlined by the Canadian Council of Independent Laboratories
- Create and present Job Proposals for new work
- Provide assistance to the Radiation Safety Officer as required
- Maintain a high level of quality standards in the Soils and Concrete Labs – ensuring data collected is accurate and complete within timelines specified
- The successful candidate will be safety conscious, well organized, and detail oriented.
- Possess strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Strong ability to adapt both communication and interpersonal skills for a variety of individuals
- Ability to be patient and respond to difficult situations in a calm manner
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to build and maintain client relationship
- Strong ability to adapt to changing business and client needs
- Excellent ability to engage team members and leverage their strengths to achieve project goals
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Office based environment
- Monday to Friday schedule, 40 hours/ week, with the expectation of working additional hours if required.
- Consistent standing, walking and sitting
- Full, valid driver’s license
- Accessible to respond to urgent client and/or employee matters
- Civil Engineering Technology diploma or Civil Engineering Degree from an accredited academic institution
- Considered an asset if candidate is eligible for membership in APEGA or ASET.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a supervisor role
- 3-5 years experience in a laboratory or field role
- Knowledge of ASTM and industry standards for soils index testing
Competition ends: June 11, 2012
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. The successful candidate will be required to reside in Fort McMurray.