Mott MacDonald is a global management, engineering and development consultancy employing more than 14,000 staff working in 140 countries with an annual turnover exceeding £1 billion. Our breadth of skills, services and global reach makes us one of the world's top consultancies delivering management, engineering and development solutions for our customers.
A world leader in tunnelling and underground structures, we have extensive experience in rail, highway, hydropower, water and wastewater, metros and utility tunnels in every kind of ground condition, from the hardest rock to the softest soils. We have a reputation for finding high quality, cost-effective solutions, enabling our customers to accomplish the most challenging tunnel projects at shallow depth in urban areas and under extreme cover in mountainous areas.
This is an excellent career opportunity where you will have access to the most interesting projects in the UK and overseas and be part of a world class working community with a package that greatly rewards commitment and long service.
Due to continued growth we are looking to recruit Design Engineers specialising in rock tunnel design to join our successful team based in Croydon. This is an excellent opportunity to work on major, national and international projects as part of a team dedicated to providing cost effective solutions for a variety of clients.
Reporting to the Manager of the Tunnels group the successful applicant will be expected to assist in carrying out:
• Interpretation of ground conditions and ground behaviour relating to tunnelling
• Feasibility, conceptual and detailed design, due diligence assessments and construction supervision.
• design calculations for underground excavations in rock including design of rock support, secondary unreinforced and reinforced concrete linings, steel penstocks and underground caverns
• Assessment of the needs for ground treatment and appropriate construction methods
• Assessment of construction sequencing, programme and costs
• Preparation of drawings, reports and specifications
Successful candidates will have:
• a good degree qualified at honours level in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering or similar, with preferably an additional post-graduate level qualification in a relevant discipline such as engineering geology, rock mechanics, civil or structural engineering.
• up to 5 years experience on rock tunnelling projects in the design of primary or secondary linings.
• experience on hydropower projects and/or the use of numerical modelling would be advantageous.
• be prepared to travel overseas potentially to remote locations