As one of the UK’s leading geotechnical consultancies Atkins offers a comprehensive service in ground technology. With more than 250 professionals at offices throughout the UK, Atkins’ geotechnical reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of geotechnical engineering. Atkins Ground Engineering comprises three divisions: Infrastructure Geotechnics, Energy Geotechnics and Tunnelling.
We are now looking to recruit experienced geotechnical engineers to strengthen the existing South West team and play a part in the development of the business in our Bristol office. This post is well suited to a professional who has proven ability and is looking for an opportunity to get involved in the leadership of projects.
The successful candidates will be strong geotechnical designers with experience of taking a lead role on geotechnical design and also in leading projects.
We are keen to meet individuals with a sufficient level of experience in geotechnical engineering who feel they can deliver the role described above, whether their experience has been gained in civil engineering consultancy or in a ground investigation / ground engineering contractor.
• Degree qualified in civil engineering or engineering geology plus a higher qualification with a geotechnical emphasis
• At or near chartered status as a civil engineer or geologist
• Valid UK driving licence would be highly advantageous
In addition, candidates will be asked to show how their experience demonstrates the ability to:
• Assist with business development including preparation of offers
• Develop good working relationships with clients
• Manage projects to ensure that commercial and technical needs are satisfied
• Assess complex problems and deliver appropriate solutions
• Experience of ground condition issues relevant to the South West
• A capable geotechnical engineer with proven design ability
• Enthusiastic and confident about ground engineering
• Client driven
• Good at motivating staff and taking ownership of tasks
• Good at integrating with other parts of the Atkins business
• Flexible, innovative and able to solve problems
• Good communicator
• Able to plan and prioritise workload
• Commercially aware
• Excellent presentation and report writing skills
• Willing to travel within the UK and overseas for projects
• Act as a lead geotechnical engineer in a small team reporting to the head of department
• Project management
• Take the role of design team leader on projects
• Manage delivery of projects, including management of staff resource to meet workload, and ensuring staff with appropriate experience are utilised
• Ensure that technical checks and reviews of designs are undertaken
• Assist with the professional development of junior staff within the team
• Assist with the generation of new business, including preparation of offers
• Co-operate with other Atkins divisions in order to add maximum value
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA ( who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.