Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
772819 Job Summary
Deckhand 1 – Line Haul
Employer Job Id:
June 21, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
August 20, 2012
Deckhand 1 – Line Haul
Summary Description of Position
- The Deckhand is responsible for the safe, efficient, reliable, and environmentally compliant operation of assigned area. The primary function is to build and break tow.
- Work schedule: 2 weeks working aboard vessel and 2 weeks off.
- Must be able to work in a rotation watch schedule, involving 6 hours on and 6 hours off, and be able to occasionally work additional hours not to exceed twelve consecutive hours without rest.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist others on the vessel in preparing barges for the loading and discharging of cargoes.
- Build tows by using cables and lines to tie and untie barges and boats
- Assemble deck lines
- Handle lines and rigging during tow building, locking and docking activities
- Perform scheduled preventative vessel maintenance to include cleaning, scraping, painting, and changing all oil and filters
- Inspect, correct if possible, and notify the Captain of any conditions, which will affect the safety of the tow or tug.
- Care for tools and equipment
- Assist on taking on provisions to include fuel, water, groceries and other supplies
- Must be able to perform all duties while wearing protective equipment to include foul weather gear, life jacket, gloves and boots.
- Must be able to drive to and from hub cities.
- Must be able to perform all duties necessary to navigate locks.
- Must be able to adhere to and comply with company policies, United States Coast Guard, and environmental regulations.
- Perform general housekeeping duties
- The description is not all inclusive of the duties that are performed and expected for this position. Candidate may be assigned to duties other than those outlined above as the work environment and essential functions of the job change
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds frequently.
- Key Competencies
- Willing to learn from others and follow directions
- Able to make appropriate decisions
- Dependable, conscientious and show initiative
- Willing to adhere to rules and regulations
- Team player
- Stable under pressure and withstand the stress associated with the job, including discomfort, unpredictable weather, and potentially hazardous situations.
- Candidate with valid Merchant Marine Document (Z-Card) preferred.
- Candidate with a valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) preferred.
- Candidate with a valid Driver’s License preferred.
- Minimum of 6 months of proven proficiency aboard inner harbor and/or inland waterway tugs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Comprehend essential information related to:
- Spill containment and cleanup
- MSDS sheets and emergency action information
- Safety meetings
- Ensure safe, working conditions and orderliness of the vessel
- Maintain safe, sanitary living and working conditions
- Follow all company safety rules and environmental regulations
- Wear safety equipment as required
- Communication: Must be able to read, write and communicate using the radio, speaker or electronic communication using the English language.
- Posture/Flexibility: Be able to tolerate repetitive and prolonged postures involving standing, sitting, twisting, squatting, kneeling, stooping, and reaching to full range from above the head to the deck
- Flexibility: Must be able to extend both arms fully, throughout a normal range of motion both in a horizontal and vertical plane.
- Dexterity: frequently use one and two hands throughout the work period for grasping and fingering to perform such activities as using various types of hand tools, tying lines, and tightening nuts and bolts often while applying high forces.
- Balance/Coordination: Must be able to safely walk over catwalks, enter/exit hatches, and over uneven and/or slippery surfaces. Must be able to climb ladders, stairwells and push knees.
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 - 5 years experience in Australia
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List