Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
780370 Job Summary
Chemical Process Engineer
Employer Job Id:
July 3, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
September 1, 2012
Chemical Process Engineer
- [Company] , a wholly owned subsidiary of[Company] , is a global leader in the commercial explosives industry. We provide blasting solutions and quality explosives products throughout North America and Australia, as well as selected customers in the Asia Pacific region. Due to continued results and world-leading innovation, customers in the mining, quarry, construction, pipeline and geophysical exploration industries choose[Company] .
Responsible for the following:
- To provide engineering support to the manufacturing processes for the PETN and Bulk powders team. This includes responsible for health, safety, environment and product quality on the shop floor. The position also has a heavy influence into product design for manufacturability; process specification, input to and approval of equipment design; equipment start-up and optimization, process capability management; facilitating improvements with suppliers, facilitating and implementing continuous improvement in a lean production system, planning and training. Support producer driven change and high performance work team. Evaluation and preventive corrective action relative to customer complaints will also be performed.
- Drive and Support the company goal of Zero Harm.
- Maintain strong safety focus and diligently follow the management of change process to ensure safe operations after process improvements and kaizen activities.
- Solve safety problems in a timely manner by getting to root cause and implementing corrective actions.
- Promote the [Company] HSE management system, while personally complying with, and ensuring co-workers comply with, all HSE policies, programs and procedures.
- Perform Process Hazards Analyses as required.
- Storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials, particularly explosives (OSHA 29 CFR 1910).
- Use of PPE, Work Permits and control of hazardous energy (OSHA 20 CFR 1910).
- Use of Mobil Equipment (OSHA 20 CFR 1910).
- Shipment and transport of hazardous materials particularly explosives (49 CFR 172).
- Manufacture, storage and control of explosives (27 CFR 55).
- Environmental 40 CFR.
- Ensure compliance to OSHA 1919.119, Process Safety Management of Highly Hazardous Chemicals.
- Develop a culture committed to the highest level of quality and reliability for products and services.
- Perform root cause analyses and mistake-proof operations to eliminate customer complaints.
- Respond to customer concerns appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Lead by example, setting the highest standards for continuously challenging current methods and seeking to eliminate waste in all activities.
- Commitment to using lean methods to identify and eliminate waste.
- Participate in new product design teams; determine, maintain/improve and communicate process capabilities and ensure they remain compatible with product specification limits.
- Identify breakthrough opportunities for process improvements; identify new technologies; prepare AFE’s.
- Assist in team development and provide leadership support to team leader.
- Provide input to capital appropriations, make vs. buy recommendations and input on source selection and hazard analysis.
- Management of significant projects to achieve cost, schedule and performance requirements with project team.
- Approve production readiness of new tooling, equipment or processes for manufacturing; product design modifications.
- Performance specification for process equipment; input on process hazard analysis.
- Auditing and assessment of producer training needs to facilitate compliance with standard work; input on source selection.
- Approval of supplier’s quality system.
Decision Making Authority:
- Accountable for make appropriate decisions based on the scope of assigned responsibility.
- Conflicts in priorities in the event of multiple machinery or equipment failures.
- Continuous improvement and customer demands.
- Education: College Degree (BS in Chemical Engineering preferred) or equivalent experience. Advanced study in chemical, mechanical, process, electrical or design engineering preferred, but not required.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years prior experience in engineering area or shop floor responsibility. Co-op or strong internships may be considered.
- Technical: Computer literacy in MS Windows. Experience with SAP and preventive maintenance programs is a plus.
Work Environment & Physical Conditions:
- Ability to wear and care for applicable personal protective equipment (such as, safety glasses and shoes, respirator, hard hat and ear protection, safety harness) as required by site-specific requirements
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 -5 years experience in South Africa
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List