Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
785227 Job Summary
Principal Design Engineer – Mechanical
Employer Job Id:
July 11, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
September 10, 2012
Principal Design Engineer – Mechanical
Principal Design Engineer - Mechanical (#242247)
Position Summary - Role
The Engineer's role is to be the technical specialist / subject matter expert for mechanical engineering discipline to
lead/support the department while providing management and technical oversight of the design for gas processing
projects. This involves working with Engineering Consultants, Project Management and Operations to optimize
designs and facilities which provide reliable operation and cost effective installation.
Key Job Responsibilities & Duties
- 80% of the job (approximately)
- Responsible for the management and technical oversight of the design of gas processing facilities.
- These facilities are located primarily in Western Canada.
- Assist during cost estimating to provide clear scope definition and technical expertise.
- Responsible for scheduling, cost control, and forecasting for the design work and reporting these to the Design Lead or Project Manager.
- Participate and provide guidance in design reviews with outside engineering firms for review and approval of design criteria and construction drawing packages. Looks for "Fit for Purpose" in all designs (reliable, cost effective, and safe).
- Formulate material bid specifications and requisitions; evaluate bids and make material selections.
- Work with the Procurement group to order materials for on-time delivery to the job site.
- Provide technical assistance during construction and assist with on-site commissioning.
- Assist with the NEB or Provincial Regulatory process by providing preliminary layout drawings, scope of work or other information for others to use in the application filing.
- Provide technical assistance to field construction personnel.
- Confirmation of Services or materials delivered through SAP will be key responsibility.
- Interact with third party outside engineering firms as well as in-house departments including Project
- Managers, Operations, BD, Marketing, Systems Planning, Procurement, Regulatory, Lands and other service groups.
- 20% of the job (approximately)
- Develop and maintain company specifications and standards, Design Guidelines - Refinement and development (key project assumptions, design basis memorandum, EDS), company preferences, with
- Operations Engineering engagement.
- Incorporate lessons learned into design through design reviews, specifications and guidelines.
- Provide training to new personnel or others as required.
Additional Job Requirements
- The Engineer needs to be available to travel as the job requires (approx. 10-20% of the time).
- Travel will primarily be within western Canada.
- Valid drivers' license is required.
- The Engineer may be required to operate out of the Engineering Consultant's offices during key design periods.
Relevant Experience And Skill Requirements For Job
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering field.
- Professional/Technical Certification or Licenses
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer in BC and Alberta.
- Minimum of 9 to 15 years experience in natural gas processing industry.
- The applicant must have good working knowledge of gas sweetening, dehydration, dew point control, refrigeration, sulphur recovery, acid gas re-injection and utility systems.
- Must have a solid understand of the relevant ASME, API, and CSA and codes related to the work.
- The applicant should have good knowledge of materials and equipment specifications for these systems.
- Preferably, the applicant should have experience working with EPCs as well as owner companies.
- Competencies (computer, communication, negotiation, purchasing, etc)
- Technical background should include design and equipment utilization in compression, processing and/or pipeline facilities.
- Project management skills will be required to manage scope, cost and schedule for the design and commissioning of project components.
- Organizational skills are a necessity. Engineer needs to be capable of managing the oversight of multiple projects.
- High quality oral communication and writing skills.
- Experience working in a team environment.
Financial And Schedule Responsibility
- The Engineer needs to manage the design budget and schedule for the outside design firm and advise the Project Manager of any potential cost overages or savings or schedule deviation. Use of Earned Value, Deliverable targets and schedule variance reports are valued.
- Assigned projects or programs totaling up to $500-1000 MM/year.
- Assigned projects or programs up to 3-5 years in duration.
- Assigned projects or programs, including those of extreme complexity.
Level Of Decision Making
- The Engineer will make decisions regarding whether the design meets the specifications and project requirements and whether the construction drawings accurately reflect the design, always being cognizant of the budget for the design and elevating changes that will affect the overall budget.
- The Engineer will make decisions regarding the purchase of material based on bids received by evaluating cost, schedule, quality and design of the equipment.
- This is primarily an office job - May be asked to spend most of the time at a consultants office location to best facilitate the oversight work.
- Able to focus and concentrate on the specific task at hand since he/she may be responsible for oversight of multiple projects at one time. Office will most likely be cubicle style due to space limitations.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects at one time. This will involve working with multiple teams and various Project Managers
- The Engineer may spend some time in the field inspecting projects or assisting with commissioning of equipment.
- Time in the field may include exposure to extreme hot or cold weather environments that are noisy and dirty at on-going construction sites.
- Mechanical Engineering (Must Have)
- Design (Must Have)
- P.Eng (Must Have)
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
< 1 years experience in Canada
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List