Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
785325 Job Summary
Environmental Laboratory Area Leader
Employer Job Id:
July 10, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
September 8, 2012
Environmental Laboratory Area Leader
About the Job:
[Company] has over 20 locations worldwide and is North America's largest integrated producer of primary aluminum, with 11 smelters located in the United States and Canada. We provide a secure base of aluminum starting stock like ingots and billets for each of [Company] downstream aluminum businesses, such as Mill Products and Extrusions. We also supply products to a broad external customer base in all major markets. In addition to unalloyed aluminum ingot, we produce value-added forms of primary aluminum that include billet, rolling ingot, cast rod and various casting alloys.
[Company] is a fully integrated operation with approximately 1,100 employees producing primary aluminum, extrusion and forging ingot, extrusion, wire, rod and bar. [Company] encompasses the East and West Plant locations, and the West Plant location includes the [Company] Forgings and Extrusions and Global Primary Products Business Units. Production of approximately 525 million pounds annually of which approximately 360 million pounds are transferred to other [Company] plants mostly as ingots, forging stock, screw machine stock, rivet wire, and the balance is sold to customers.
[Company] is currently looking for an Environmental Laboratory Leader for our Massena, NY plants. Reporting to the Environmental Control Superintendent, the incumbent is accountable for directing the Environmental and Process Chemical Laboratory internal and contract staff, including compliance sampling and analysis for: plant air emissions, water discharge, potable water, water treatment systems, monitor wells for Remediation O&M and MOSF licensing, and hazardous and non-hazardous waste streams. The incumbent will be accountable for management of the laboratory management systems for all compliance sampling and analysis.
The incumbent's challenge is to manage the environmental laboratory aspects of the local operations based on sound business decisions while ensuring compliance with the legal requirements of local, state, federal regulations and [Company] corporate policy, and maintaining good public relations.
- Maintain NELAC and NYSDOH accreditation programs with documented effective management systems as well as continuous improvement plans. Maintain the QA program and relevant requirements.
- Act as a designee of the Environmental Control Superintendent to help coordinate laboratory compliance activities in the multiple Environmental Management Systems, including: LIMS, ESS, EMS, ASAT, IHS and ISO14001.
- Provide close coordination between the Environmental laboratory department and Remediation Projects with respect to sampling and analysis support.
- Direct the preparation of the monthly SPDES Discharge Monitoring Reports in compliance with the permit.
- Direct the planning and coordinating of the sampling and analytical programs to ensure proactive compliance with corporate policy and local, state and federal environmental regulations.
- Develop and manage subordinates to maintain and enhance analytical and technical skills through both opportunities and training.
- Drive the recruiting process for the laboratory department, consistent with the department strategic vision of plant and environmental support.
- Develop budgets and maintain control of the laboratory costs and expenditures at both plants.
- Drive proactive safety and housekeeping improvements in the laboratories, including maintaining a Chemical Hygiene Officer.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and human relations skills with the ability to work with a wide array of cross functional teams
- Strong knowledge of environmental compliance regulations
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to solve issues to the root cause and providing sound corrective action
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Ability to manage, motivate, lead and direct a staff
- Bachelor’s Degree in sciences or engineering
- 24 credit hours of chemistry coursework (Required for Environmental Lab Approval Program for New York State)
- 5 years’ experience in an environmental engineering or environmental lab, or a related role with 2 of those years spent supervising a staff
In addition to the above basic qualifications
- Experience within a manufacturing or industrial environment
- Experience with Gas Chromatography
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 - 5 years experience in Canada
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List