Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
791732 Job Summary
Project Safety Manager
Employer Job Id:
July 18, 2012
Granite Construction Company, Inc
September 16, 2012
Project Safety Manager
Since 1922 Granite Construction has built some of America’s largest infrastructure projects; highways, bridges, dams, rail, power and other “heavy civil” projects. Additionally, many of our offices provide high quality concrete, asphalt and gravel products for the construction industry. At Granite , we believe that our greatest asset is our people. We build careers by encouraging creativity and providing opportunities for development. Our employees reflect our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability and Citizenship.
- The position is responsible for developing and managing the accident prevention program, and the corresponding laws that relate to the safety of our work, for an assigned Project in a manner consistent with project/company policies and procedures.
Essential Job Accountabilities
- Administer, direct and manage compliance with the company safety program and Project accident prevention efforts to ensure company and project safety goals are met. This includes the authority and ability to change and/or adjust work procedures as may be required to insure the safety of affected employees and the general public.
- Provide a strategic vision for creating safe work areas for affected employees and the general public. This includes but is not limited to conducting initial work area assessments and the development and facilitation of appropriate training programs.
- Supervise, develop and manage other safety professionals under their area of responsibility to ensure the effective administration of the project/company accident prevention efforts.
- Develop, organize and implement safety related programs that meet or exceed company safety standards. This includes the ability to make independent judgments concerning the general safety of our work.
- Initiate, perform and document jobsite inspections and audits with special emphasis on hazard recognition, unsafe behaviors and correction of potential third party, asset loss and workers compensation losses. This necessitates the ability to think independently, communicate thoroughly and facilitate the implementation of corrections/behaviors.
- Initiate, coordinate and conduct safety meetings and training programs to ensure the effective communication of company policy and safety standards.
- Coordinate and participate in regulatory agency inspections and investigations to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Coordinate and control the development and review of job hazard analysis for each major phase of our work to ensure its safe completion. This includes assessing the need for and facilitating the training for each JHA as may be required.
- Investigate, prepare and maintain a record of all third party, asset loss and workers compensation claims to make certain that the interests of the project/company are preserved.
- Follow up with the corporate insurance department as regards to high value insurance claims, to ensure that documentary information has been collected, secured, and preserved so that claims will be resolved in a timely manner as required at the local office. This includes the authority and ability to represent and/or negotiate the settlement of certain loss related claims.
Education & Work Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Occupational Health or related field or,
Minimum five (5) years’ experience in construction related safety environment, required
CSP - preferred.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Extensive knowledge of Fall Protection and MUTCD standards, and DOT regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of Construction Safety Orders.
- Working knowledge of OSHA, MSHA and other state and federal agency guidelines.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to teach, mentor and lead.
- Ability to work in high production environment (50+ hours/week, including nights and weekends are expected) and respond quickly and effectively under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to make independent judgments to manage and facilitate company programs/policies as they relate to the safety of our work
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and must have the ability to climb stairs and ladders in a construction/ plant environment. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds from floor to waist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include at least 20/30 Snellen in one eye and 20/50 in the other, with or without corrective lenses. Adequate hearing, with or without a hearing aid. Ability to distinguish colors. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions.
- Ability to abide by and enforce Granite’s Code of Conduct on a daily basis.
- Ability to instruct front line supervisors in the details of the work they perform (by enforcement) to improve safety performance
- Bi-lingual preferred
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
6 - 10 years experience in South Africa
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List