The Atkins Water and Environment business offers more than just advice and technical consultancy: we make a difference and add value. We are at the leading edge of innovative solutions and have won numerous industry awards at both company and individual project level.
The Strategy, Assessment and Management (SAM) team within the Water and Environment business is made up of around 90 technical and management experts who command an excellent industry reputation in delivering tailor-made solutions for clients across the UK and internationally. Our focus is on developing environmental, technological, operational and commercial strategies with our clients; assessing the impact of human activity on the environment; and helping our clients optimise the management of their assets and minimise their impact on the environment.
Following significant successes in securing forward work programmes for water companies and the Environment Agency in water resources management, we have a vacancy for an individual with skills in hydrogeology. You will be expected to work as part of a technical team delivering a range of projects relating to groundwater and surface water supply, resource optimisation and environmental assessment in the UK and potentially overseas.
We are looking for people with excellent communication and analytical skills that are keen to work within a high achieving team environment but who also have the drive and initiative to get things done with minimal supervision. Candidates should hold a post-graduate qualification in hydrogeology or a related subject and have relevant experience within consultancy, water company or regulatory fields. You must be numerate, have an eye for detail and enjoy solving challenging hydrogeological / hydrological problems.
We are interested in candidates with a range of levels of previous work experience.
We are looking for enthusiastic, flexible self-starters capable of developing our business requirements and who are keen to develop their skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding of recent developments in their field and of the environmental and regulatory framework of UK water management.
- First degree in science, engineering or mathematics
- Post-graduate qualified in hydrogeology or a related subject
- Candidates should be Chartered or working towards Chartership (e.g. with the Geological Society, ICE or CIWEM). Therefore their degree must be accredited by the relevant professional body.
- Experience as a hydrogeologist within consultancy, water company or regulatory fields
- Excellent report-writing and numerical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the potential to engage and influence at all levels and to work effectively within multidisciplinary teams, as well as individually
- Skills in computer programming and groundwater modelling would be an advantage
- A valid UK driving licence.
You will :
- undertake a variety of field and office based projects across the UK and potentially overseas;
- be expected to work in an integrated team of water resources and environmental specialists and will be responsible for working with the rest of the team in delivering projects to the highest standard;
- provide technical and, depending on experience, management input to a variety of projects, covering all aspects of water resources hydrogeology: borehole design and pumping test analysis, groundwater flow modelling, deployable output assessment and water resource planning, catchment management, water quality;
- undertake field monitoring programmes and investigations. This may include supervision of drilling contractors, hydrogeological, hydrological and water quality monitoring, with appropriate attention to health and safety and environmental management requirements;
- be responsible for liaising with clients and, depending on level of experience, for the technical and financial management of projects, for business development and training our junior staff;
- ensure your input to projects is to deadline and budget;
- work collaboratively across other Atkins businesses to promote the Atkins Group and to cross-sell Atkins' services.
- Highly motivated and proactive.
- Excellent analytical, report-writing and presentational skills; candidates must be able to review evidence and produce succinct, accurate and timely summaries.
- Excellent numerical skills, with experience of working with spreadsheets; experience of programming and of working with groundwater modelling and water resource modelling software packages is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the potential to engage and influence at all levels.
- Be able to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as individually for discrete tasks.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and finding solutions to new challenges.
- Drive and self motivation for continuous development.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women for 2011. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA ( who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.