Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
808712 Job Summary
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Employer Job Id:
August 13, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
August 20, 2012
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Our client operates a base and precious metals mine in Western Australia that produces concentrates predominately of zinc, copper and lead. Currently they are operating two underground mines and have recently completed their first blast to create an open pit mine.
Our client is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with an interest in deep mining which presents you with an opportunity for innovative rock support design suiting seismic environments.
This is a FIFO position working an 8/6 roster.
Reporting to the Technical Services Superintendent, you will ensure the correct and professional application of geotechnical principles to the planning and operation of all underground and surface mines at the site.
On a day to day basis you will be involved in:
As an appropriately qualified and experienced Senior Geotechnical Engineer within an underground mining environment, you will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Developing and maintaining suitable ground support standards, mining methods and extraction sequencing
- The development and implementation of a Ground Control Management Plan to meet statutory guidelines
- Conducting geotechnical risk assessments, monitoring rock deformations, stress and seismicity, slope stability and reinforcement systems
- Undertaking geotechnical analysis utilising Rock Mass Classification systems, stereonets, failure mode analysis and numerical modelling
- Conducting reviews of stope performance focussing on rock mechanics issues
- Providing input into mine planning to ensure excavation designs, pillars, ground support and mining sequences are appropriate
- Design of backfill properties and placement plans for mined stopes
- Ensuring adequate data collection programs are in place for new orebody areas
- Developing and maintaining geotechnical databases for ground conditions and structural models, damage maps, microseismic monitoring, extensometers and other deformation monitoring, and stope stability performance data
- Directing internal research and development projects in areas of ground support, backfill, instrumentation and mining methods.
- Providing leadership and direction to less experienced Geotechnical Engineers in the team.
- An unwavering commitment to workplace safety
- Sound knowledge of rock mechanics, numerical modelling, seismicity, ground support systems and methods
- Proficiency in mine design and geotechnical software packages such as Vulcan, Surpac, DataMine, Map3D, DIPS etc
- Substantial experience with various backfill methods, geotechnical data collection and processing, and the technical design of stopes, pillars and ground support
- Experience leading and coaching a small team
This permanent position will commute on an 8 days on/6 days off FIFO roster from Perth. Accommodation and meals are provided in a comfortable modern camp with wireless internet connection, swimming pool, fully equipped gym, Foxtel, beach volleyball, outdoor cricket pitch and tennis courts.
The successful candidate will be offered a remuneration package commensurate with their experience.
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 - 5 years experience in Australia
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List