Operations Mgr - Cost/Contracts Consulting
Hunter Valley/Newcastle - NSW
Our client is a specialist cost, contract, legal, procurement and risk management consultancy operating across the Hunter Valley and Newcastle regions.
They provide both strategic and on-project support to a range of mining and resources clients including asset owners, EPCM’s and Contractors.
This is a rare opportunity to contribute to the ongoing growth and direction of a high performing, culturally strong team.
The appointee will have a demonstable background in delivering sound advice within the resources infrastructure sector, and will be capable of leading a diverse team while also contributing to strategy and active business development.
• Lead and manage the performance on all client engagements in accordance with the overall mission, goals and objectives as set by the consultancy and its clients.
• Reports to the General Manager.
Principal Functions – Operations Manager
• Provide management and leadership to create committed and effective working relationships between the company and its Clients in relation to the specific Client engagements of the business.
• Responsible for delivering the project goals associated with the company’s engagements and ensuring that the objectives of the project are achieved or exceeded, and is the primary contact with the Client’s Team for each engagement.
• Provide leadership in developing and maintaining a workforce culture that strives to create an environment built around exceptional performance.
• Align internal decision-making with the required business outcome in relation to the overall context of the client’s expectations and the business case for involving the company.
• In conjunction with the PD assist Clients with the development of an appropriate organisation structure for execution of the Procurement for the specific project at hand. This includes identifying necessary functions and selecting appropriately experienced and enthusiastic personnel for specific positions and the delegation of responsibilities.
• Involve, as appropriate, specialist procurement expertise in the project.
• Ensure and maximise the engagement of staff and resources are in place to meet the project’s procurement objectives.
• Provide leadership in developing and maintaining an environment where all employees feel valued and respected for their contribution and is free of disharmony.
• Develop and maintain personal relationships with Clients’ senior managers to maintain strategic direction in engagements and be the senior interface with Clients and their project related organisations and all interested parties.
• Target the gaining of a position within a Client’s Project Team, alongside the senior Client Engagement Manager, to assist the Client in the management of work processes, procedures, project staffing, project review planning is brought to bear. The focussed outcome of such a senior position is attaining Client dependability for major strategic decision making.
• In conjunction with the General Manager, develop a Client Execution Plan detailing the key objectives and strategies for delivering the various elements of the engagement and the ongoing management of work in accordance with agreed strategy.
• Ensure development and ongoing management of the Procurement Management System and functions to manage all procurement phases of the engagement, and the progress against schedule targets for the engagement.
• Lead strategic decision-making in relation to emerging trends within an engagement.
• Provide leadership for each of the company’s Client Engagement Managers.
• Ensure the continual development of systems and ongoing management of procurement and purchasing functions on the Client engagement and provide leadership for the Procurement Manager or senior staff for each Client engagement.
• Ensure development of a system within the procurement function that provide early warning of any unwanted departure from the planned procurement outcomes and provides direction as to the remedial action required.
• Motivate, ensure commitment and build a result-oriented team focused on achieving the optimum outcome. Ensure that all communication channels are effectively operating amongst the company’s Client Engagement team members and that coordination and cooperation between disciplines is occurring. Resolve conflicting demands and advise in the prioritisation of competing demands.
• Management of the Client Engagement contract in a manner that provides the required results with respect to safety, quality, performance, cost and schedule.
• Be responsible for high level communication with Clients, and assist the staff in communicating at their respective responsibility levels as required.
• Ensure that decisions and practices are consistent with the stated policies, values and project objectives of company.
• Follow up on safety and health action items in a timely manner.
• Ensure that all safety, industrial relations and performance incidents involving the consultancy’s personnel are investigated in a timely and effective manner.
• Participate in incident investigation teams if needed.