The work undertaken by the Mining team includes:
• Financial and technical appraisals of both green field and existing mining operations
• Feasibility studies (Conceptual, Scoping, Preliminary, Bankable)
• Due Diligence
• Mine and Excavation design
• Materials handling design
• Operational assistance and improvements
The majority of our work involves projects in Africa, South America, Russian Federation and FSU, Middle East, India, North America and a minor amount elsewhere, depending upon where our clients’ projects are located. Our clients include major/mid-tier/junior mining companies, financial organisations and, occasionally, governments.
Our senior professionals are recognised industry experts in their areas of specialisation, and the company encourages individuals to develop their own professional interests, within the supporting framework of the department. However, this requires a commitment to high technical standards and continuing professional development from each member of the team.
Whilst our client aims to provide a strongly supportive technical atmosphere with the required level of staff sufficient to meet our work requirements, it is realised the nature of consulting can sometimes require extra effort (out of hours work) from team members to meet deadlines or to accommodate travel requirements.
As a Senior Underground Mining Consultant the primary role is to provide competent consulting services to support projects and clients.
The role involves:
• Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams providing input on world-class project development studies
• Providing support to the Principal Open Pit Mining Consultants
• Acting as project co-ordinator on open pit studies, helping with project management and logistical arrangements of often large projects involving a number of sub-consultants
• Representing professionally, to clients and interfacing at all levels with the client’s management and operations (and those of their other consultants)
• Business development, including the generation of business from new and existing clients
• Managing and developing Consultant level staff.
• This list is not exhaustive and further reasonable duties may be requested from time to time as may be deemed in keeping with the job designation.
Main Technical Responsibilities:
The work involved in undertaking this role may include the following activities, as well as other responsibilities as required:
• mine planning, including mine design, scheduling, equipment selection and costing
• cash flow modelling/financial evaluation
• computer analysis, data processing and computer modelling
• production and planning
• producing Life of Mine Plans
• drill and blast production and planning
• input to scoping studies, pre-feasibility studies and feasibility studies
• project reviews for due-diligence studies and competent persons reports
• project management and co-ordination including: information control, planning and programming of works, commercial and contractual control, procurement, ensuring progress meetings are undertaken, production of progress and financial reports, close liaison with the client and their representatives, safety and quality control
• report and proposal writing
• mentoring consultant level staff as required
• liaising with clients and other consultants
• Degree or equivalent in a mining related subject with the majority of experience gained in an international (non-UK) environment
• Membership of a relevant professional institution
• Previous operational experience gained at an underground mine in a short term planning role
• Experience of working with a variety of commodities
• Evidence of exposure to different aspects of underground mining operations – design, planning and scheduling
• Proven track record of bringing projects in on time, within budget and to the clients satisfaction
• Competent report and proposal writing skills requiring strong English language skills (verbal and written)
• Strong communication and team building skills
• Strong leadership and business development skills.
• Effective organisation and time management skills
• Competent in using major mining software, e.g. Datamine or GEMS. Experience in the use of AutoCAD, Mine 2-4D, Mineworks Planner or Earthworks Scheduler would also be advantageous
• Proficient in Microsoft office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint