Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
833870 Job Summary
Corporate Engineering Services Project Manager
Employer Job Id:
September 20, 2012
November 19, 2012
Corporate Engineering Services Project Manager
- If you're a Chemical or Mechanical Engineer with deep experience managing capital projects in a chemical plant environment, the role of Project Manager will afford you the opportunity to manage our new $50 million lithium hydroxide plant expansion project and future projects as part of our Corporate Engineering Services group.
- This first two to three year project, brought about by the increase in lithium ion battery demand, will provide you with a high impact platform on which to demonstrate your skills. Additionally, this is a new growth position within our Corporate Engineering Service Group; the first position of our new growth initiative. Growth equals opportunity; make an impact and prove yourself a star and you can continue to advance your career with FMC . Please note that you are not required to relocate for this role.
- The FMC Lithium Division is part of the FMC Corporation , an S&P 500, diversified chemical company serving agricultural, industrial, and consumer markets for more than a century. From its inception in 1883, FMC has been providing solutions to the world's best companies and their customers. Today, we use an array of advanced technologies in research and development to improve the delivery of medications; enhance foods and beverages; power batteries; protect crop yields, structures and lawns, and advance the manufacture of glass, ceramics, plastics, pulp and paper, textiles and other products. The Lithium Division supports markets including battery and energy, air treatment, construction, fine chemicals, glass and ceramics, greases and lubricants, pool-water treatment, and polymers.
- The Corporate Engineering Services group is based in the Princeton, New Jersey area and supports projects worldwide. This position requires significant travel or temporary living arrangements, often for extended periods, to individual project sites. The first assignment is at our Bessemer City, NC location in a family oriented community with small town character and a thriving business district. The city environment of Charlotte, the "Queen City," is just 35 minutes away. FMC can be flexible about travel, living, and relocation arrangements for the ideal candidate.
- As Project Manager you will report to the Director of Corporate Engineering and manage the Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) contract for the construction of a new chemical processing plant. You will be involved in the contract structure from implementation and will be key in the selection of the EPC firm. The project is expected to last two to three years, and you will be involved throughout all stages of the plan, managing the costs and schedule, staying on budget and on time. At the same time you'll help develop the skills and assist with cross-training within your department.
- On a daily basis, you will develop and leverage internal relationships with Site Operations, Site Engineering, Site HSE, Process Technology, Finance, and the Venture Manager, and manage between 5 and 10 direct reports including Process and Project Engineers, the Construction Manager, Project Controller, Project Safety Supervisor, and Procurement Specialist. Externally, you will be responsible for managing the EPC firm, other contractor Project Managers, Engineering Consultants, vendors, etc., serving as FMC's key point of contact. You will not be the sole decision maker but will run all project communication.
Your central responsibilities will include:
- Health, Safety and Environmental leadership -- managing up to 300 onsite contractors with the objective of having no accidents throughout the project.
- Assist in development and ensure implementation of the Construction HSE Plan through all phases of the project.
- Actively promote adherence to construction safety policies and procedures and contractor / project team participation in Take Two, Near Miss reporting and other appropriate HSE programs and activities.
- Lead and participate in formal incident investigations identifying root causes, tracking the appropriate corrective actions, and ensuring the implementation of procedures to improve safety and environmental performance related to the expansion project.
- Understand, support, and strictly adhere to site standards, policies and procedures relevant to safety, industrial hygiene, environmental and security / CTPAT requirements under RCMS (Responsible Care Management Systems).
- Project Management and Leadership –- you will ensure that people have the direction necessary to effectively meet their job responsibilities. Specifically, you will:
- Build a strong and effective Project Management Team with clear delegation of responsibilities and tasks.
- Effectively involve vendors, EPC contractors, and individual construction contractors in the extended Project Management Team, securing their commitment to quality, cost, and time.
- Schedule and conduct ongoing project review meetings at all phases of the project with the Venture Manager and members of the extended project team.
- Cost and Schedule Management -- In conjunction with Venture Manager, Project Controller and EPC or other key parties, you will prepare a detailed +/-10% accuracy project cost estimate and execution schedule for use in AFE submission. Subsequently you will:
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial forecasts with the Project Controller on project spending in conjunction with EPC contractors and others as appropriate.
- Ensure accountability within the Project Team on all expenditures and/or schedule issues. Ensure proper change order controls are defined.
External Agency Management -- responsibilities include:
- Developing plans to incentivize/penalize key vendors and construction agencies as part of said contracts for delivery of agreed upon milestones and to ensure their commitment.
- Hiring individual contractors for Engineering Specialties, QA inspections or testing and other tasks as appropriate to ensure project quality and integrity.
- Managing proper coordination between all project participants to ensure project cost and schedule objectives are met.
- Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- A bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- An advanced degree or certification in Project Management, preferred.
To be a good fit for this position you should have:
- 7 to 10 years of experience in managing capital projects of reasonable size and complexity (typically more than $25M) in chemical plant projects.
- Chemical continuous process experience.
- A demonstrated history of bringing projects in on time and on budget.
- Experience managing EPC or other contracts and serving as the point of contact. Experience should include building chemical process plants and/or pipelines.
- A strong safety orientation.
- The ability to effectively present at both informal and formal training settings.
- Preferred but not required:
- An advanced degree or certification in Project Management.
- Knowledge of and expertise in using Aspen KBase or a similar cost estimating software is a plus.
- Familiarity with SAP.
- International experience; bi-lingual Spanish or Chinese would be an advantage.
- In addition to these skills, communication will be key to the position. You should be very good at communicating expectations and driving the job. You should be skilled in serving as the main point of contact for FMC staff and management as well as the EPC firm. Other position specific competencies will include:
- Advanced leadership skills.
- A strong action orientation combined with practiced risk management abilities.
- Being bottom line oriented and results driven.
- Strategic agility with foresight and the ability to create alternate plans.
- Effective team building skills.
- A management style that fosters high expectations, open dialogue, creates a strong sense of team, inspires and motivates.
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
6 - 10 years experience in Australia
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List