BFI Constructors Ltd. (BFI) supplies labour consisting of superintendents, foremen and various tradespeople to large industrial and heavy civil construction projects across Western Canada. Projects BFI works on include oil refineries, potash and hard-rock mines, power generating stations, pumping stations, electricity transmission lines, petrochemical plants, and oil sands facilities.
Since the mid-1980s BFI has been specializing in large industrial and heavy civil construction projects, plus masonry, across Western Canada. BFI understands the intricacies of this market as well as the labour force in Canada. BFI maintains strong relationships with trade unions, giving it the ability to work with clients, management and unions to have a stable and consistent workforce.
Reporting to the Shop General Foreman, HET is responsible for supporting the equipment fleet for BFI in the Fort McMurray area by safely maintaining equipment in the Maintenance department.
BFI’s fleet consist of both Mining and Construction Equipment including D6 to D11 dozers, 740 to 793 rock/haul trucks, John Deere/Hitachi excavators 330 to 2500’s, 16M to 24M graders along with various other support equipment.
Conduct both scheduled and unscheduled inspections and repairs on equipment
Remove and replace major components (engine, transmission, differential assemblies, etc.)
Troubleshoot the various equipment systems and components (electrical, engine, driveline, hydraulic, etc.)
Interprovincial Red Seal Heavy Equipment Technician with at least 5 years experience
4th year apprentices maybe considered
Experience on both Caterpillar and John Deere mining and construction equipment
Component rebuilding experience an asset
Must have Construction Safety Training System (CSTS) and Oil Sands Safety Association (OSSA) certification as well as a current driver’s abstract.
- As per IUOE Local 955 Collective Bargaining Agreement; $42.95 per hour regular rate and $64.43 per hour overtime.
- Union benefits include health & welfare, dental and pension of 10% per hour worked at regular rate.
- Shift schedule is 10 days on and 10 days off at 12 hours per day. OT is paid after 8 hours worked.
- Boot and Tool allowance of $1.07 per hour.
- 10% Vacation and Statutory Holiday pay per hour worked at regular rate.
- Camp provided with transportation provided to and from camp to site.
- Based at BFI’s Mildred Lake Maintenance Facility north of Fort McMurray
Posses a strong safety knowledge and safe work practices
Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
Able to work independently and also within a team atmosphere
Strong mechanical aptitude and troubleshooting skills
Must possess own set of tools to perform the necessary repairs
Familiar with Caterpillar SIS system for parts ordering and repair diagnostics