Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
849804 Job Summary
ERW Welding Engineer
Employer Job Id:
October 20, 2012
Subscriber - Log In to see Company Name
December 19, 2012
ERW Welding Engineer
Evraz Inc. NA is a leading North American steel manufacturer built on the pedigree of successful steel companies formerly known as Oregon Steel, Claymont Steel and IPSCO.
Evraz has the capacity to produce more than 5 million tons annually of flat, long and tubular steel products for major markets including infrastructure, defense, energy and rail. Its manufacturing facilities are located in Portland, Ore.; Regina, Saskatchewan; Pueblo, Colo.; Claymont, Del.; Calgary, Camrose and Red Deer, Alberta; and Surrey, British Columbia.
In North America, Evraz is the No. 1 producer of large diameter pipe, the second largest producer of steel plate and the largest producer of rail.
Evraz is a wholly owned subsidiary of Evraz Group S.A., one of the largest vertically integrated steel and mining businesses in the world.
Provide technical support to the mill operations in the area of Welding Process Technology and Process Control. This person is responsible for identifying opportunities for improvement of the appropriate welding process (optimizing the ERW and/or DSAW process; improving efficiency, mill productivity and weld quality. This position also works with the mill QA team (metallurgist, process control engineer, IT personnel, NDT Level 2 and 3) as welding control systems are improved to ensure that QA practices are defined, developed and institutionalized across all shifts. This person is responsible for staying current with new welding technologies and working with vendors and outside welding groups (e.g. Edison Welding Institute, etc.) to look for new welding methods, etc.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Determine the key welding process control parameters for the applicable types of welding technologies (ERW, DSAW, etc) and develop monitoring and control systems to identify "out of control" conditions for the operator.
- Establish a database of KPI measurements for welding working together with IT.
- Develop a Welding KPI report that can be communicated on a shift-by-shift basis to each welding team within a mill.
- Develop welding setup best practices that can be communicated to the workforce prior to each product manufacturing run.
- Lead brainstorming sessions (A3, fishbone and four-square or FMEA types) with operations and management personnel when applicable.
- Conduct process optimization trials using statistical methods (Design of Experiments, etc.) as necessary.
- Help to define the potential savings of process improvements during the capital expenditure process.
- Write standard procedures for process control (SPPC's). Work with the Quality System Coordinators to ensure that these documents are approved by the appropriate personnel and available to the workforce through the mill ISO-based quality system.
- At least quarterly, perform process capability studies of the key process parameters. Communicate the results to mill management and identify areas of improvement.
- Attend technical conferences to stay abreast of welding methods, inspection, techniques, advancements in the broader manufacturing industry.
- Metallurgical or Electrical Engineering, Welding technical degree preferred.
- 5 years working experience involving welding in a steel manufacturing-related business.
- Working knowledge of problem solving methods (fishbone, etc) and basic statistics.
- Capable of using MS Office tools such as MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Experience using Minitab and other statistical software a plus.
- Experience giving presentations to management regarding project results.
- Experience writing technical reports summarizing key findings and identifying next steps.
- Experience working with interdepartmental teams at all levels of management to accomplish tasks.
- Able to work effectively with hourly and management ranks
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 - 5 years experience in Australia
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List