Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
CareerMine Job Id:
856940 Job Summary
Principal Engineer I - Mechanical
Employer Job Id:
November 1, 2012
December 31, 2012
Principal Engineer I - Mechanical
- Reporting to the Director of Corporate Engineering Services, you will join a small but growing team of about 15. Your mission will be to provide a high level of engineering expertise, leadership, and support for FMC chemical manufacturing worldwide, across all three of our operating groups: Agricultural Products, Industrial Chemicals and Specialty Chemicals. This will include design and optimization of new and existing processes and facilities, and the application of industry standards, all with a focus on safety, reliability and cost-effectiveness.
- In general you will divide your time among three main activities:
- Contributing to and often playing a lead role in capital projects worldwide (about 50% of the time).
- Providing reliability and plant support (25% to 35% of the time).
- Maintaining Corporate Engineering standards and codes for process equipment and providing interpretations of the codes & standards (15% to 25% of the time).
- FMC Corporation is committed to providing employees with ample opportunities to contribute, lead and be recognized as innovators, to look beyond barriers to provide solutions, to be challenged in what they do and to love doing it. FMC is an S&P 500, diversified chemical company serving agricultural, industrial and consumer markets globally for more than a century. As a global leader utilizing advanced technologies and customer-focused research and development, FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to food, agriculture, pharmaceutical, specialty and related industries.
- FMC employs people across a broad range of occupations in locations across the world. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. Employees enjoy competitive compensation, a menu of work/life benefits and opportunities to continue developing their skills and building their career.
Major areas of responsibility will include:
- Supporting internal customers with technical solutions that directly address company core values, business objectives, strategies and competitive efforts.
- Providing advanced technical leadership, including high-level innovation and guidance / oversight for the design and quality assurance of chemical process equipment on new projects and reliability / improvement of existing facility equipment.
- Providing governance and guidance in the internal role of subject matter expert and authority in mechanical engineering, codes and standards, etc.; and in the external role of industry thought leader.
- Providing professional leadership, including training and education, dissemination of industry and company standards and information, organizing people and activities for engineering effectiveness, and more.
- Supporting professional and corporate development, including keeping your own skills and expertise honed, and contributing to the development and improvement of engineering talent across FMC .
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Advanced degree or studies preferred
- Substantial (15+ years) experience in a manufacturing environment, including experience as a Senior or, preferably, Principal Mechanical Engineer. We also will consider experience as a Lead Mechanical Engineer in an engineering firm.
- Significant experience in processing environments, ideally chemical processing, including:
- Broad knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems, including rotating equipment (such as pumps and compressors), pressure vessels, storage tanks and piping, and the ability to recommend, evaluate, and provide designs and specifications for such equipment and systems.
- Extensive knowledge of design principles as well as industry standards and codes, and the ability to provide interpretation of requirements.
- Experience with corrosives and aggressive environments.
- Status as a recognized leader and authority in your current company, demonstrated by significant accomplishments and contributions.
- International experience is strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience and interaction with engineering companies on major projects.
- Experience establishing, monitoring and inspecting quality standards and specifications for design and fabrication, including following through with vendors.
- Extensive knowledge and application of insulation, paints, coatings, and linings.
- Extensive knowledge of equipment fabrication and welding technology, code requirements, and inspection.
- Extensive knowledge of materials of construction (metallic and non-metallic) and its mechanical properties, cost, availability, and fabricability.
The ability to:
- Perform vendor oversight of fabrication, inspection, and testing activities.
- Provide support in equipment installation and start-up.
- Provide support in post-fabrication inspection and failure analysis.
- You also will need to be willing and able to travel to contribute to project designs, installations, and startups, provide site consultation and more. You should expect to travel 15% to 20% domestically and 5% to 10% internationally. Note: the physical requirements of the job include the ability to climb stairs and work in and around chemical process equipment and facilities.
In addition you will need the following leadership qualities and skills:
- Organizational and political savvy to be able to work effectively with a variety of internal and external individuals organizations, cultures, etc., and to build and retain effective client relationships.
- High-level collaborative skills to partner with other CES disciplines for solution of complex assignments.
The ability to:
- Act independently within the discipline to provide expert support for FMC facilities worldwide.
- Understand client businesses, objectives, and strategies.
- Understand client needs and make sound engineering and economic recommendations.
- A willingness to participate actively in organizations such as ASME, API, NACE, MTI, and PIP in development and application of industry codes, standards, and practices.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience in the process industry for an owner / operator in which you were involved in a design capacity for projects, including developing specs, participating in the procurement of equipment, overseeing and ensuring the quality of operations and equipment.
- Experience as a subject matter expert in a central engineering resource supporting multiple business units / sites.
- Experience developing and implementing standards.
CareerMine Daily Salary Insight
1 - 5 years experience in Australia
Source: CareerMine Salary Survey
Save This Job
Remove This Job From My List