Unfortunately this advertised job has expired.
Either the employer has requested the expiration of the job (vacancy has been filled or cancelled), or the job advert has expired after its normal running-time on CareerMine.
Please click here to continue your job search.
Mining Engineer/Planning Engineer
||January 2, 2013
Search Intelligence Systems
||March 5, 2013
|Employer Job Id:
||CareerMine Job Id:
- The Mining Engineer is responsible for all mine scheduling and production planning and works with the mine management team to ensure that operational targets are achieved.
- He/she achieves mining objectives by contributing mining information and recommendations to operational plans and reviews.
- He/she coordinates safe and cost effective mine practices and maintains excellent relationships with the workforce and Government representatives.
- He/she is responsible to develop and support the implementation of an optimised Life of Mine (LOM) plan.
- He/she accomplishes LOM planning activities by researching and developing mining best practices and plans, implementing new practices and plans and coordinating with interested and effected parties to execute these successfully.
- He/she evaluates the need for adjustment in existing mining methodology.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience (Essential):
- Bachelor degree or technikon diploma in mine engineering or mineral resource management from reputable tertiary institution is essential.
- Alternative: Qualified Surveyor with Planning background.
- Post graduate qualification advantageous.
- Mine Manager's Certificate from AMMSA is advantageous.
- Mine Overseer Certificate of Competency is advantageous.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience (Desirable):
- More than 8 years in mine engineering role, with minimum 2 years managerial experience in similar industry, preferable from coal mining industry.
- Extensive knowledge of mining industry regulations, in particular labour laws and managing safe working conditions.
- Demonstrated coal market knowledge.
- Successful and extensive track record in planning and managing mining operations both open pit and underground.
- Excellent technical skills with proven abilities in implementing new and improved mining methodology in underground and thin seam coal mining environment.
- Proven track record in meeting project deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication / negotiation / presentation skills.
- Adherence to corporate governance.
Essential job functions:
- Good knowledge of managing mine financials.
- Experience with setup and use of ERP systems.
- Experience with tools and software applications pertaining to exploration and mine planning.
- Experience with resource valuation and estimating (i.e. SAMREC / SAMVAL, JORC, NI43-101, etc).
- Achieve operational objectives by contributing mining information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and safety standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Contribute to meeting the mine's financial objectives by forecasting requirements; contributing to the preparation of an annual budget; scheduling authorised expenditures; analysing variances and initiating corrective actions.
- Ensure that mining targets are aligned with operational strategy.
- Prepare detailed and optimised LOM plan that includes underground and open pit mining activities and production schedules, which optimise resource usage.
- Collaborate with mine managers and superintendents to create and effectively communicate a clear vision, goals and performance measures on a yearly, quarterly, monthly and weekly basis.
- Monitor use of company assets deployed in mining operations and plan capital investment schedules commensurate with LOM plan.
- Under the direction of the Mineral Resource Manager, coordinate with geologists and surveyors to support resource development and mining activities.
- Develop and coordinate technical studies for mine development opportunities.
- Assist in implementing systems and procedures to improve mine planning and performance, and benchmark these with industry best practices.
- Plan, manage and control data preparation processes to monitor mining performance and coordinate with mine manager