ABB - Mining Energy Conservation, Automation, Drives
|A world leader for mining and mineral processing solutions
Rising costs of exploration and development in remote areas, volatile market prices, health and safety of workers, stringent environmental regulations and 100 % availability – ABB helps you to overcome these major challenges you face today. Our approach covers the complete value-added chain, from your mine to the product you market.
ABB supplies mine electrification and automation solutions, such as substations, power distribution, modular electrical houses, ventilation on demand, electrical systems for mine trucks and instrumentation as well as various complete mine hoist systems, such as mechanical systems, hydraulic disc brake systems, electrical systems as well as state-of-the-art drive and control systems.
ABB’s latest technology for mine hoist applications:
- Direct Torque Control (DTC), offering high efficiency, superior control performance, low voltage drop in the supply network, low harmonic distortion and very low flicker
- Powerful and user-friendly control system is based on System 800xA, which includes control of feeders, conveyors and measuring flasks at the loading level as well as push-button control of multi-level man/material hoists
- Multi-caliper disc brakes for emergency stops and holding at standstill
- The hydraulic control unit is equipped with dual systems to meet the highest safety requirements.
- Controlled retardation maintains the set retardation rate independent from the actual payload and direction of movement.
- The ABB/Atlas Copco Kiruna Electric trucks are a good alternative to diesel trucks. They reduce fuel emission and ventilation requirements while increasing production, as they are faster than conventional diesel trucks.
OPEN-PIT (CAST) MINING AND MATERIAL HANDLING
Large open-cast mining operations throughout the world have used ABB control and drive systems for decades. ABB is one of the leading suppliers for electrification, automation, control and drive systems for the full range of mining equipment. This includes bucket-wheel and bucket-chain excavators, spreaders, stackers, reclaimers, crushers, shovels, draglines, belt-conveyor systems, belt wagons and stockpiles. Our equipment has proven to withstand the extreme conditions of open-cast mining – with dust, severe vibrations and temperatures ranging from –50 °C to +50 °C – in over 1000 large mining machines during the past 50 years.
ABB’s latest technology for material handling and mining equipment:
- Standard AC multi-drive installations, mechanically reinforced to make them suitable for the mining sector
- Special drives control library for all mining equipment, that allows to manage load-sharing of multi-drive applications and ensures safe operation in all modes.
- Fully autonomous stockyard operation with material tracking and quality management
- Advanced GPS-based automation of mobile equipment.
When it comes to driving grinding performance to higher levels, ABB offers a wide range of solutions: Gearless mill drives, ring-geared mill drives and drives for high pressure grinding rolls.
Gearless mill drives
Gearless mill drives (GMD) for semiautogenous (SAG), ball and autogenous (AG) mills eliminate the typical mechanical components of the drive train (shaft, gearbox, pinion and ring gear). ABB delivered the first GMD ever in 1969, which is still in operation today. The upper limit of the power range today is about 35 MW. Some of the largest GMDs worldwide have been supplied by ABB: a 28 MW GMD for a 40' SAG mill and two 22 MW GMDs for 28' ball mills, to be installed at the highest altitude ever of 4600 meters above sea level. In addition, ABB has also delivered a 28 MW GMD for the world’s first 42' SAG mill and is well positioned to continue the push for larger and more powerful mills.
Ring-geared mill drives
With dual and single pinion drive systems ABB can offer an alternative for mill drive solutions up to a power of around 17 MW where, for the dual pinion solution, the load sharing is handled very accurately within the frequency converter system.
Drives for high pressure grinding rolls
ABB simplifies the twin-drive system for the high pressure grinding rolls (HPGR). Among the deliveries was one supplied for the world’s largest HPGR installed in Australia, with a power rating of 2 × 2800 kW.
Processing and refining
From agglomeration processes such as pelletizing, grinding and flotation or direct reduction (DRI / HBI) of iron ore to the SX-EW, smelting and refining processes of non-ferrous metals, ABB provides the following systems and solutions:
- High power converters
- Variable-speed drives
- Intelligent power distribution
- Process control
- Instrumentation and process optimization
Linked by process control solutions and combined with proven integration and project management expertise they ensure end-to-end plant connectivity and operational efficiency.
ELECTRICAL, CONTROL AND INSTRUMENTATION SYSTEMS
Our approach covers the complete value-added chain, from mine to market. ABB’s capabilities combined with its global and local resources offer integrated power, control and information solutions to overcome challenges related to achieving energy efficiency, increasing productivity, health, safety and environment (HSE). You specify the requirements just once and we take the responsibility for creating an integrated solution that works smoothly and efficiently
ABB’s integrated solutions include:
- Electrification and plant engineering
- Power distribution
- Drives applications
- Process control and instrumentation
- Integrated mine operations and remote control rooms
To meet the challenges you face today you require equipment that operates efficiently and reliably - ideally without any effort on your part. ABB helps you to focus on your everyday operations, while we concentrate on maintaining your equipment. We provide you with a comprehensive service portfolio covering all major processes from quarry to dispatch – to keep your production running.
ABB’s comprehensive service portfolio includes:
Spare parts services
ABB – proudly serving the mining industry for over 100 years.
Systems: Automation, control, expert, hoisting, information, optimization, ventilation
Products: Controllers, drives, instrumentation, motors, power T&D
For more information: www.abb.com/mining
10300 Henri-Bourasse West
Saint -Laurent, QC, H4S 1N6
Phone: +1 514 832 6500
||10300 Henri-Bourassa Blvd, West
Ville Saint-Laurent, Quebec
Canada, H4S 1N6
||Account Executive Email
Categories of Goods and Services Provided
Consulting Services - Management & Financial
- Risk Assessment, Contracting - Communications
- Automation and Communications, Equipment - Buildings & Structures
- Mine and Plant Infrastructure Equipment, Equipment - Electrical Equipment
- Electric Motors, Equipment - Electrical Equipment
- Electrical Equipment, Equipment - Excavation & Loading
- Haulage Vehicles, Equipment - Excavation & Loading
- Materials Handling Systems, Equipment - Excavation & Loading
- Trucks, Equipment - Excavation & Loading
- Underground Vehicles, Equipment - Mineral Processing
- Process Control Equipment, Equipment - Other
- Mine Automation, Equipment - Transportation & Stacking
- Bulk Materials (Ore) Handling Equipment, Equipment - Transportation & Stacking
- Hoists & Sheaves, Equipment - Transportation & Stacking
- Winding and Hoisting, Supplies & Consumables - Transportation & Stacking
- Hoisting Equipment
List of Catalogs
Actuators & Positioners, Advant OCS with Master SW, Advant OCS with MOD 300 SW, Analytical Instruments, Articulated Robots, Automation System 800xA, Cables & Cable Systems, Circuit Breakers, Connection Devices, Control Products, Controller Based Software, Distribution Protection & Control, Distribution Transformers, Drives, Enclosures & Cable Systems, Fieldbus Solutions, Flowmeters, Force Measurement Products, Foundries & Forming Plants, Fuses, Gantry Robots, Generators, High Current Systems (HCS), High Voltage Surge Arresters, High Voltage Switchgear & Modules, Hoisting, Hoists, Hoits, Indoor Circuit Breakers and Contactors, Industrial IT Control System Freelance/AC 800F, Industrial IT Control System Melody, Industrial Plug and Sockets, Instrument Transformers, Instrument Transformers, Intelligent Installation Systems, Interface Products, Modular DIN Rail Products, Motors, MV Instrument Transformers & Sensors, MV Modular Systems, Network Quality, Operating Mechanisms, Outdoor Distribution Products, Paint Robots, Panel Kits & Parts, Parallel Arm Robots, Power Capacitors, Power Electronics, Power Transformers, Pressure & Level Measurement Products, Process Analytics, Process Control Products, Railway Power Supply, Recorders & Indicators, Robot Controllers, Robot Peripherals, Safety Systems, Satt OCS, Software, Standalone Products, Switches, Switches & Fusegear, Switchgear, Switchgear Systems, Symphony DCI System Six, Symphony Harmony INFI 90, Temperature Measurement, Wiring Accessories