Mr. Ellis is highly qualified for his field of work, by his education, experience, certifications and registrations, his many years of leading mineral valuation standards development, and the high level of recognition provided him by the mining industry.
Professional Certifications and Registrations:
- Certified Minerals Appraiser, IIMA - International Institute of Mineral Appraisers
- Certified Professional Geologist, AIPG - American Institute of Professional Geologists
- Certified General Appraiser, Colorado
- Fellow and Chartered Professional Geologist, AusIMM - The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy
- Registered Member, SME - Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration
- Registered/Licensed Professional Geologist, Kentucky, Wyoming, Alaska
- B.S. Geology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- M.S. Mineral Economics, Colorado School of Mines
- Graduate studies in Business Administration
- Advanced level market value appraisal courses
Professional Awards, Recognitions, and Special Engagements
Mr. Ellis has received awards, recognitions, and many special engagements from mining institutes and other bodies. He is the recipient of the 2018 Mineral Economics Award of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME).
He is frequently invited to speak nationally and internationally on minerals and petroleum industry valuation standards, and other minerals industry topics. He has been the invited U.S. speaker at conferences in Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Poland, and South Africa.
On three occasions, he presented papers on mineral and petroleum industry standards matters at the United Nations in Geneva.
Mineral Valuation Standards Bodies
Mr. Ellis for many years has been a world leader in the development of valuation standards for the minerals industry, including the oil and gas sector. The following represent much of his involvement:
SME Valuation Standards Committee, Founder and Chairman, 2012 - Present
- Chaired the development of the SME Valuation Standards, first published 2016, updated 2017.
International Mineral Valuation Committee (IMVAL), 2012-2018
- SME representative on development of the IMVAL Template for mineral property valuation standards.
International Valuation Standards Committee, 2001-2008
- Founder and Chairman, Extractive Industries Expert Group.
- The minerals and petroleum valuation standards for which he led the development were published in the International Valuation Standards, 2005 and 2007 Editions.