Hide this alert

Newmont Nevada Mine

 
Newmont

Key Facts

Commodity Gold
Location Nevada, USA
Latitude: 40 deg 50 min N
Longitude: 115 deg 10 min W
Map
Satellite Image
Owners Newmont
Production Gold 1.6t in 2009
Deposit Type carlin type deposit
Reserves & Resources Gold 609mt @ 1.44g/t Proven and probable
(Dec 31, 2009, proven and probable reserves)
Mining Type Open Pit and Underground
Contact Information P.O. Box 669
Carlin, NV
USA 89822
Phone: + (775) 778-4000
Fax: + (775) 778-4754
Reference Date: May 5, 2008
 

Last updated: August 2010

Overview

Newmont owns or controls approximately 3,000 square miles of land in Nevada, stretching across the state along the Interstate 80 corridor. All of the mines are located within a 100-mile stretch of north central Nevada between Carlin on the east and Winnemucca on the west, and within 50 miles north and 20 miles south of I-80.

Newmont has been mining gold in Nevada since 1965. Nevada operations include Carlin, located west of the city of Elko on the geologic feature known as the Carlin Trend, the Twin Creeks mine, located approximately 15 miles north of Golconda, the Lone Tree Complex near the town of Valmy, and the Midas mine near the town of the same name. Newmont also participates in the Turquoise Ridge joint venture with a subsidiary of Barrick Gold Corp. ("Barrick"), which utilizes mill capacity at Twin Creeks. The Phoenix mine, located 10 miles south of Battle Mountain, commenced commercial production in the fourth quarter of 2006. The Leeville underground mine, located on the Carlin Trend northwest of the Carlin East underground mine, also commenced commercial production in the fourth quarter of 2006.

The Nevada operations produce gold from a variety of ore types requiring different processing techniques depending on economic and metallurgical characteristics. To ensure the best use of processing capacity, Newmont uses a linear programming model to guide the flow of both mining sequence selection and routing of ore streams to various plants. Higher-grade oxide ores are processed by conventional milling and cyanide leaching at Carlin (Mill 5), Twin Creeks (Juniper) and Lone Tree. Lower-grade material with suitable cyanide solubility is treated on heap leach pads at Carlin, Twin Creeks and Lone Tree. Higher-grade refractory ores are processed through either a roaster at Carlin (Mill 6) or autoclaves at Twin Creeks (Sage) and Lone Tree. Lower-grade refractory ores are processed by a flotation plant at Lone Tree or either bio-oxidation/flotation or direct flotation at Mill 5. Ore from the Midas mine is processed by conventional milling and Merrill-Crowe zinc precipitation. Activated carbon from the various leaching circuits is treated to produce gold ore at Carlin and Twin Creeks. Zinc precipitate at Midas is refined on-site. All milling at Lone Tree was completed in 2007.

Newmont owns, or control through long-term mining leases and unpatented mining claims, all of the minerals and surface area within the boundaries of the present Nevada mining operations (except for the Turquoise Ridge joint venture described below). The long-term leases extend for at least the anticipated mine life of those deposits. With respect to a significant portion of the Gold Quarry mine at Carlin, Newmont owns a 10% undivided interest in the mineral rights and lease the remaining 90%, on which we pay a royalty equivalent to 18% of the mineral production. Newmont wholly-owns or control the remainder of the Gold Quarry mineral rights, in some cases subject to additional royalties. With respect to certain smaller deposits in Western Nevada, Newmont is obligated to pay royalties on production to third parties that vary from 2% to 5% of production.

This section contains estimates on reserves, resources, and production reported in the annual and technical reports for Newmont's operations in Nevada. For information about selected properties please refer to the specific property description file.

Newmont's Nevada Operations included:

Carlin North (Lynn District) the following deposits include: Blue Star; Bobcat; Bullion Monarch, Deep Star; Genesis; Genesis/North Star; Genesis Complex; Leeville; North Lantern; North Star; Post/Goldbug; Deep Post; Turf; Carlin Mine; Carlin/Pete/Lantern; Carlin Underground; Carlin North; Emigrant and Castle Reef.

Carlin South (Maggie Creek District) the following deposits were included: Mac, Gold Quarry; Tusc; Mike; Carlin South open-pit; Chukar Footwall underground.

Also included in production listed in this report is Newmont's portion of Phoenix, Twin Creeks, Midas.

Copyright © InfoMine Inc. Developed and maintained by InfoMine Inc. All rights reserved.